Author Topic: need a new multimeter  (Read 3274 times)

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
need a new multimeter
« on: December 29, 2020, 08:38:29 AM »
My vintage Radio Shack multimeter died. I'm looking for a new one, one that will be good for audio equipment repair... could use your thoughts. Would like to keep the cost down to $100 or preferably less lol  Thanks guys and Happy New Year.
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: need a new multimeter
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2020, 01:51:25 PM »

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 01:53:06 PM »
I have one that sells for about three times that new but I grabbed it at the thrift for almost nothing and it doesn't have audible continuity.   A feature I really miss.   Maybe I'll get one of those.

Offline rgpit

• MAD Scientist
    • My Music Collection
Pioneer PLX-1000, Nagaoka MP-150, Tascam CD200, microRendu, Sonictransporter I5, Benchmark DAC2HGC & AHB2, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3s, Analog Research Velluto, minidsp 2X4HD, SB Acoustics DIY subs, Sony HDR-F1HD, Alesis ML9600

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

Offline Vpgh

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2020, 07:31:14 PM »
I remember the Harbor Freight sells some for about $20. It's not bad at all.

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
Re: need a new multimeter thoughts on a Klein MM700?
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2020, 08:50:01 AM »
any thoughts on a Klein Tools MM700 Multimeter? 
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2020, 10:15:13 AM »
I have one that sells for about three times that new but I grabbed it at the thrift for almost nothing and it doesn't have audible continuity.   A feature I really miss.   Maybe I'll get one of those.

That would be a show stopper for me, I think that's my most used function. I have a crappy green and yellow meter that came from Lowe's years ago with a socket tester and live wire tester, it's gotten me by, but I wouldn't pay for it again.

Sorry, I have nothing to add or recommend except every time I look at new multimeters it overwhelms the brain - so many options, choices, prices, etc...