Author Topic: GM Audio Engineer's Top 10 Music selection  (Read 6166 times)

Offline MasterBlaster

• Administrator
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
GM Audio Engineer's Top 10 Music selection
« on: September 25, 2010, 01:11:05 PM »
GM Audio engineer Matt Kirsch shares his top 10 songs that he uses to test car audio systems

Source: DRIVEON - USA Today

1. "Don't Know Why" by Norah Jones. Listen for Norah's voice to sound natural, and centered in front of you.
   2. "Diamonds and Rust" by Joan Baez. Listen for strong vocals, and for the instruments to be set across a wide sound stage
   3. "No One" by Alicia Keys. Listen for clarity in Alicia's vocals and spacious background sound.
   4. "Hotel California" by the Eagles. Listen for the clarity and dynamic range during the opening guitar solo, and of course the powerful drum beat.
   5. "Boom Boom Pow" by the Black Eyed Peas. Listen for powerful, accurate bass beats, even at full volume.
   6. "Rock that Body" by the Black Eyed Peas. Listen clear, intelligible lyrics over the powerful, persistent bass beat.
   7. "Hide and Seek" by Imogen Heap. Listen for the enveloping ambience of the song, building on the openness and dynamic vocals.
   8. "He Mele No Lilo" by Mark Keali'i Ho'omalu from Lilo and Stitch.Listen for the ambience and staging as the children's chorus is offset by powerful bass.
   9. "Bird on a Wire" by Johnny Cash. Listen for the clarity in Johnny's distinctive voice, and his guitar to sound natural and free of any coloration.
  10. "Packt Like Sardines in a Crushd Tin Box" by Radiohead. Listen for the punch from the percussive bass, and the ring of the steel drums.
HT: Audiocontrol Maestro M3, Sunfire 5*200,  Tannoy Mercury MX , SVS PB-12 Sub

Head-Fi: FUBAR IV Plus DAC, Grado SR225

Living Room: Dynaco ST-70 (R&R work done by NATOE), Dynaco PAS Preamp, Jamo C607 towers, MCS 6710 Turntable

Offline angelod307

• FNG !!!
Re: GM Audio Engineer's Top 10 Music selection
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 02:38:06 AM »
any relation to the stereo mag editors?

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 08:13:28 AM »
I'm sure all of those songs are good for stereo testing, but the only one I would actually want to listen to would be the Radiohead one. I guess Hotel California would be second, but I am so sick of that song I really wouldn't care if I ever heard it again.
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline confused

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 08:53:46 PM »
Strange stuff. 
No 1812 Overture, Peter Gabriel, Flim and the BBs, no accoustic stuff, New York LA Dream Band.

Probably showing my age!
Dale

-Still Smoking!-