Author Topic: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?  (Read 706476 times)

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
  • Ready For Intervention!
Re: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?
« Reply #3120 on: July 21, 2017, 12:54:45 AM »
Lava lamp

Nice! BJ had a bunch of this kind of stuff when he was 12-13!

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #3121 on: July 21, 2017, 08:56:14 AM »
Herb Albert & The Tijuana Brass - South of the Border.  Commercial recordings can sound decent at 7 1/4 IPS!!

Actually I suspect they would sound slightly flat at that speed.

:(|)  I was off by 1/2" inch per second.  I stand corrected.

No, you were off by a quarter inch.   Sloppy work.

Let's round it down to 7 IPS and keep the peace!  It sounds good   :(|) :(|)

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #3122 on: July 21, 2017, 09:16:29 AM »
Picked this album up a few weeks ago, and I keep playing it.... it's a great pressing and for a re-issue/ best of album it's pretty fabulous. I would also consider it an excellent test of one's cartridge, tt set up, stereo separation, tracking etc.... and speakers.... If they can produce the bass line, reproduce the piano line and dynamics, handle the horns etc... it would be saying a lot!   my copy is a 1981 release of 1962, '63 and '64 performances. Highly recommended.

McCoy Tyner   "Great Moments with"
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3123 on: July 21, 2017, 08:39:18 PM »
Tesla....What you give....
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3124 on: July 21, 2017, 08:40:39 PM »
Jet...Cold Hard Bitch.... >:D
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3125 on: July 21, 2017, 09:34:48 PM »

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3126 on: July 21, 2017, 09:35:47 PM »

It's an 80s evening here.

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #3127 on: July 23, 2017, 11:25:21 PM »
Picked this album up a few weeks ago, and I keep playing it.... it's a great pressing and for a re-issue/ best of album it's pretty fabulous. I would also consider it an excellent test of one's cartridge, tt set up, stereo separation, tracking etc.... and speakers.... If they can produce the bass line, reproduce the piano line and dynamics, handle the horns etc... it would be saying a lot!   my copy is a 1981 release of 1962, '63 and '64 performances. Highly recommended.

McCoy Tyner   "Great Moments with"

Not available on TIDAL to give it a listen. Bummer. Any other similar suggestions of Tyner's I might find on TIDAL?
Thx

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3128 on: July 23, 2017, 11:39:39 PM »

Frippertronics and all of Bruford's fills are meant for surround sound.

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #3129 on: July 24, 2017, 07:51:53 AM »
David Sanborn   "another hand"   found this one at GW and although it is a CD, it has quickly found it's way into regular rotation.  Great compositions and recording BTW  Will be looking for this one on vinyl
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3130 on: July 24, 2017, 11:33:16 PM »
Tonight's surround binge...

Some of the synth patches really gave the EmpTec a workout.

Another one where I really appreciated some of the percussion work in a new way hearing it in relative isolation.

Stunning.

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #3131 on: July 25, 2017, 08:30:57 AM »
I'm really glad that the sub found a good home! and that my rewiring/ soldering has held up so well. Those things sure have an interesting local history lol

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3132 on: July 25, 2017, 08:37:23 AM »
I expect it will live out it's life (or mine) in my living room.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3133 on: July 25, 2017, 11:31:52 PM »
Today's listening.   

Earlier, on vinyl...

It was good to play this with Gina in the room.   She thought that "Changes" was a Beatles song, then she found that she knew a couple of the others from movie soundtracks but didn't realize they were Dave either.   Clearly I've been negligent as a father.

Later, in surround...

I had been really looking forward to this one, and it is the first one that largely didn't impress me.   The first half could have been closely replicated by playing the stereo CD with Pro Logic on.   "Let Me Roll It" was terrible, with far too much delay in the rear vocals.   Surround should add to the experience, not distract from it.   The only two that benefited (IMHO, of course) were my least favorite and most favorite tracks.   Does anyone think of "No Words for My Love" when they remember this album?   It's the one true throw away track.   1985 crushed though.   A nice, revealing mix throughout, and the build up at the end was what the surround of "A Day in the Life" should have been but wasn't.   If you ever get a chance to hear this, just skip to the last track.

If you like JT, this one is demo disc quality.   Nearly perfect.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3134 on: July 29, 2017, 12:16:06 AM »
Tonight's surround session...

Last Worthless Evening and Heart of the Matter always made me melt.   I know some will call it sacrilege, but I like those songs better than anything in The Eagles catalog.   DTS sounds really good, too.

Very nice sound for an "unofficial" release (someone had the quad tape and converted it to DVD-A).   The full band songs didn't do as much for me because the drums are mixed to the rear (makes no sense in my mind), but the piano and string songs sound great in surround.   I've always loved Political Science anyway, but this mix took it to another level.

Such a fun album.   Surround really works for things like putting the choir in the rears on Church.   The acoustic instruments and vocals all sound wonderful.   My only complaint on this one is that the point 1 channel is too loud.   I've noticed that I never feel the need to adjust the four satellites, and only very rarely the center, but often would turn up or down the sub from album to album.   If I made a HT receiver, I would have little buttons for center and sub volume on the remote as well as the big button for system volume.