Author Topic: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?  (Read 704883 times)

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?
« Reply #3285 on: August 21, 2018, 07:17:05 AM »
I am not a flaming lips fan, but would love a chance to hear your rig.

I am still dealing with unpacking and the move and don't yet have my gear connected.  It turns out our 200 yards of new carpet is defective and needs to be replaced.  I can't install the theater and 5.1 system until it is replaced, which will be around the middle of September....sigh.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #3286 on: August 21, 2018, 07:51:45 AM »
Anyone here who likes The Flaming Lips HAS TO come to my house and hear it in surround.   It's akin to a religious experience.   The mix is daring, the fidelity absolutely crushes the stereo version and my new Onkyo did exactly what I hoped it would do when I bought it.   All of those bells and electronic percussion have a lovely sparkle to them that was lacking before.

OK.  Sounds like date!
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3287 on: August 21, 2018, 09:43:55 AM »
Anyone here who likes The Flaming Lips HAS TO come to my house and hear it in surround.   It's akin to a religious experience.   The mix is daring, the fidelity absolutely crushes the stereo version and my new Onkyo did exactly what I hoped it would do when I bought it.   All of those bells and electronic percussion have a lovely sparkle to them that was lacking before.

OK.  Sounds like date!

IIRC, you are a Deadhead, right?   I should think you would enjoy hearing Am Beauty or Workingman's Dead in 5.1.

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #3288 on: August 21, 2018, 01:21:53 PM »

OK.  Sounds like date!

IIRC, you are a Deadhead, right?   I should think you would enjoy hearing Am Beauty or Workingman's Dead in 5.1.

Me, a deadhead?  I plead the 5th........
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #3289 on: August 22, 2018, 07:07:20 AM »
Currently listening to a just-opened copy of the Prestige 50th Anniversary, 20bit K2 coding CD of John Coltrane's"Soultrane".  I must have purchased this 15 years ago and, somehow, it just sat on the shelf all this time as I always reached for the Impulse stuff.    Along with Coltrane  on tenor, Red Garland is on piano,  Paul Chambers (Mr. PC) is on bass and Art Taylor is handling the sticks.   First two tunes are over 10 minutes long, giving Coltrane a chance to really blow.  Great sounding CD.

from Wikipedia:
The album is a showcase for Coltrane's late-1950s "sheets of sound" style, the term itself coined by critic Ira Gitler in the album's liner notes.
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3290 on: August 26, 2018, 12:38:23 AM »
A lot of Oscar Peterson.   Am I the only one who thinks his stuff would be pretty good except I can't get past his grunting along with his solos?

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #3291 on: August 26, 2018, 06:51:06 AM »
I listen to a lot of Keith Jarrett and Bud Powell.  They do a lot of 'vocalising' too.   I view it as being really emotionally involved in the playing.

http://observer.com/2015/12/the-great-groaning-pianists/

Currently Verve CD Jazz Masters 13 -Antonio Carlos Jobim - sitting on the back deck while the rain falls and I enjoy a fresh cup of joe and my dog Nellie keeps my bare feet warm.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 07:00:38 AM by EmperorNorton »
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #3292 on: August 26, 2018, 11:00:43 AM »
nice   
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3293 on: August 26, 2018, 04:04:05 PM »
I think Milt Jackson is a wonderfully gifted musician, but I also can't take more than about 20 minutes of vibraphone at a time.

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #3294 on: August 26, 2018, 04:45:08 PM »
I have the Miles Prestige Years box and it's just enough Milt Jackson.

Probably should open that RSD MJQ soon.
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3295 on: September 09, 2018, 12:00:09 AM »
Lots of jazz again today.   Most recently...

A fine performance, but I don't like the far field micing of the vocal.   Sounds like one of those audience recordings on Dime.

Before that...

Only mine was the mono.   It's the first non-"Time" album of his that I've listened to.   

Before that...

Just dreadful.   I'm pretty sure this is the album from which Bill Murray got his inspiration for the lounge singer guy.   I didn't even make it through one whole side.

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #3296 on: September 09, 2018, 07:53:37 AM »
lol   
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline geoffr

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #3297 on: September 09, 2018, 12:15:38 PM »
one bummer about vinyl, tougher to skip tracks
Living room: Fisher 400, Thorens TD124, Arcam CD, Klipsch Heresy
Home office: Scott 222c or Fisher KX-200, Thorens TD124, Marantz CD + Peachtree DAC, Omega 3T desktop speakers and Deep Hemp sub
Basement: Rogue Cronus, Meadowlark Kestrel, Rega P25, Marantz CD

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #3298 on: September 10, 2018, 07:33:52 AM »
Sitting on the back porch, drinking a hot cup of joe and  listening to disc five of the George Mitchell Collection, as the rain continues to fall.  Its  seven disc set of field recording Mitchell made during the 60s.  Essential listening if you're a country blues fan.  These include the first recordings of R L Burnside as well as cuts by Sleepy John Estes, Fred McDowell, Johnny Woods, Houston Stackhouse, Will Shade and many others.   Five stars!!
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #3299 on: September 10, 2018, 06:40:23 PM »
as the rain continues to fall

Rain? What rain?

RL Burnside is great. Not sure what's on the compilation you have, but his album First Recordings is pretty good. I believe they pulled him off a tractor and recorded him on the front porch. Love that raw, live stuff.